Central Catholic High School is a private Roman Catholic Marianist College preparatory educational community of faith serving persons from economically and culturally diverse backgrounds.
The Central Catholic campus first opened its doors on North Saint Mary's St. in 1932. The distinctive art-deco style was designed by the Dreisoerner firm of St. Louis, Missouri. They chose to incorporate many brick crosses in the facade decoration, while the design engineers opted to include the use of prestressed concrete, a new technique for its time. During the campus' early decade, the basement and first two floors were occupied by classrooms and workspaces. It wasn't until the late 1940's that the third floor was built and Central Catholic expanded classrooms and workspaces onto the additional floor. Between 1970 and 1990, what was once the activity center was purchased and transformed into a band hall for the school. As a growing campus, in 1980, a project began to install a full-size football and track stadium on the school's grounds. The project spanned over a three decade period and the outcome is what our football stadium is today.
Additionally, three religious statues constitute the art connected with the historic building. At the centenary of the Immaculate Conception, the school placed a statue of Mary as the Immaculata on the St. Mary's Street side of the building. In 1961, at the bicentennary of Blessed Father Chaminade, Brother Mel Meyer's statue of the Marianist founder was installed on the Augusta street side of Central Catholic. Finally, at the sesquicentennial of the school, in 2002, a statue of St. Joseph the Protector graced the other side of the Augusta entrance.
Central Catholic High School is a college preparatory school educating young men, from diverse backgrounds, in the Marianist tradition for success through the development of scholarship, leadership and moral character.