If you are curious about Summer Ecology…
- Summer Ecology is an introductory course to ecosystems and the interactions of organisms within them. This course also examines how species adapt in response to their physical environment. An emphasis will be placed on ecosystems associated within the Texas Hill Country (Edward’s Plateau) and the South Texas Brush Country. Fieldwork will be conducted within several state parks that are found within those regions.
Research methods in wildlife biology, population dynamics, hydrogeology, wetland ecology, range management, forestry, and environmental toxicology will be examined.
- Summer Ecology Dual Credit is similar to Summer Ecology in terms of topics and materials. However, this course also encourages students to better understand the interrelationships of the natural world, to identify and analyze environmental problems, to evaluate the risks associated with these problems, and to examine alternative solutions for resolving and/or preventing them. Thus, more intensive research and statistical analysis are required. There is also more discussion about possible careers in this field. This was the first Dual Credit course where Central Catholic collaborated with St. Mary’s University!
(St. Mary’s University Course Listing = ES 1373 – “Introduction to Environmental Science”)
Benefits of Taking Summer Ecology…
In addition, students would have the flexibility of finishing their science career at Central Catholic with more than four science credits.
On a separate note, another major benefit of taking Summer Ecology is that the class will be going on field trips almost daily to various parks (such as Friedrich Wilderness Area, Guadalupe River State Park, and many others). If you enjoy the great outdoors, this might be the class for you!
Registration for Summer Academic Programs at Central Catholic:
Here is the separate link to register with St. Mary’s:
- Dates: June 8-July 14, 2022
- Times: 8:30 am-1:00 pm
- Cost: $700
- Dual Credit Requirement = minimum score of 500 on Evidence-based Reading and Writing on either the PSAT or SAT
- For more information, please see Mr. Bendele in room 252 or send him an e-mail here.