Welcome incoming 2022-2023 Brigade Commander Cadet Major Paul Garcia.
Description: This position is the most demanding in the Corps of Cadets. Cadets are evaluated during their junior year through the Brigade Commander Selection Process led by the current Executive Officer. Based on the results of the process with instructor observation and input, the instructor staff selects the cadet for this position based on demonstrated leadership ability, trustworthiness, and academic standing. The appointed cadet must be able to apply common sense and judgment in the solving of problems that affect the entire cadet corps. The Brigade commander must be mature, willing to accept responsibility, and able to effectively delegate authority and supervise subordinates. The Brigade commander controls the staff through the brigade executive officer, battalion leadership, and the companies through the company commander, while maintaining the final approval authority in the cadet chain of command.
Duties are better citizens:
- Command the Brigade at all formations.
- Prepare for and conduct the training of the brigade on drill days.
- Maintain a direct and personal relationship with the staff and the commanders.
- Encourage the commanders to communicate freely.
- Use the staff to assist in gathering information and preparing plans for conducting training and controlling the brigade.
- Designate staff officers to assist in the preparation, execution, and supervision of orders.
- Ensure that feelings of mutual respect and confidence exist between the staff battalion and company commanders.
- Ensure that staff members are capable and that they understand their responsibilities to the brigade commander, brigade executive officer, and the corps of cadets.
- Ensure orders and actions are in compliance with JROTC regulations, policies, and directives and with local school regulations and policies.
- Execute all responsibilities in the name of the Senior Army Instructor; seek advice and assistance from the instructor staff and carry out all of their directives quickly and completely.
- Be prepared to evaluate any member of the brigade, but specifically the brigade headquarters personnel, battalion, and company commanders.
- Make operational decisions for the cadet brigade.
- Be responsible for all the brigade does or fails to do.